Pages

About Me

My photo
Wife (to Shaun), Mother (to Danni), Dog walker of Archie the JRX, improving cyclist, reformed gym bunny, broken runner Collector of exercise DVDs & equipment. Cake is my weakness together with cider (Westons only thanks)and brandy. Noisy spectator of running & cycling events. Owner of Tribby the campervan

Thursday 12 June 2014

Juneathon Day 12 - Something different

Haven't we been lucky with the weather this Juneathon?   I'm so glad it's still dry - today's step target was 12,713 so on my way to work I got off the bus at Brighton Marina instead of near the hospital.  Luckily I had 45 minutes to get the walk done, although I was a bit of a hot, sweaty mess by the time I reached my desk.

This afternoon's walk was down to the big rec on the other side of town (think it's all about alternating for Archie) I sat on the grass and threw the ball whilst Archie ran like a loony and then collapsed in a big, tongue hanging out, panting heap.

Remember yesterday I said I was doing something different today - well, here it is.   This evening I've been for a trial session at Bodyshapers of Sussex.  I've actually poo-pooed this centre for years.  How on earth can you tone up and lose inches/weight using a machine that basically does the work for you?   Curiosity actually got the better of me when it was advertised on the local radio - a free taster session and then membership from £20 a month.

Bodyshapers use Shapemaster machines which are power assisted resistance machines.  Basically, the machine moves the part of the body you're working on and you provide  the opposing power.  You use each machine for 5 minutes at a time and there are 6 machines, making a total "workout" of 30 minutes.  I was quite surprised that I could actually feel it working.  My muscles started to feel tired by about 2 minutes into each machine.   When I walked out I actually felt like I'd done some exercise.

What I did like was that it was a ladies only "gym" - none of that male presence you get in ordinary gyms and all the weight clanking which always puts me on edge.   There's only room for a few people - 6 Shapemaster machines, 4 vibro plates and some new cardio equipment that they haven't started using yet.

What I didn't like - the membership pricing.  It was from £20 a month - that's the basic monthly fee.   They suggest you go 3 times a week at least to get the most out of the "workout" and it costs £3 for each session to use the 6 machines and another £3 to use the new cardio equipment.   Alternatively pay £40 a month to use the 6 machines unlimited and an extra £3 per visit to use the cardio equipment.

Guess we'll find out in the morning whether it's an effective workout and worth spending the money.

Total steps today 17,022 = 11.9km

Up early tomorrow as Shaun is starting work at the crack o'sparrows.   Hopefully I'll be able to get out on the bike tomorrow - that'll be nice !

Juneathon Totals

Vivofit steps : 171,972
Distance : 120k (75 miles)
Cycle : 49 miles 

No comments:

Post a Comment