Pages

About Me

My photo
Wife (to Shaun), Mother (to Danni), Dog walker of Archie the JRX, improving cyclist, reformed gym bunny, broken runner Collector of exercise DVDs & equipment. Cake is my weakness together with cider (Westons only thanks)and brandy. Noisy spectator of running & cycling events. Owner of Tribby the campervan

Sunday 7 June 2015

#Juneathon Week 1 & Davina's Big Sussex Bike Ride

Following on from last week's post - here's a week of Juneathon stuff

Day 1

Ab & Squat challenge - 10 sit ups, 10 crunches and 25 squats & 10,785 steps (Vivofit)

Day 2

1 hours boxercise, 20 sit ups, 15 crunches and 30 squats, 14,045 steps

Day 3

5 sit ups, 20 crunches and 35 squats and 10 miles on the bike, 10,712 steps

Day 4

10 sit ups, 25 crunches and 40 squats and 14,097 steps

Day 5

5 sit ups, 10 crunches and 20 squats - 9,275 steps

Day 6

15 sit ups, 30 crunches and 50 squats - 10,561 steps

Day 7

40 miles on the bike (Davina's Big Sussex Bike Ride)
20 sit ups, 35 crunches and 55 squats
I've still got over 2,000 steps to get to goal but I'm a bit wrecked after the bike ride!

Total mileage for Juneathon - 50 miles


Today was the day of the Davina Big Sussex Bike Ride - an absolutely brilliant ride around 20, 40 or 68 miles of Sussex country roads (and some busy ones).   The ride set off from the East Sussex National Golf Centre at Uckfield and did a nice figure of 8 route, VERY undulating via a feed station at Horam Golf Course (at 20 miles).   I was supposed to be riding with my mate Nik and Boxercise Instructor Claire, but unfortunately Nik sprained her ankle the week before so it was just me and Claire
Before we left - I was a bit nervous
I also managed to catch up with Michelle, @lipglosslass on Twitter.  We've been trying for ages to meet up, today was the perfect chance

Davina McCall started us all off on our way - no photos unfortunately, it wasn't allowed.   I'd also spotted Jayne Torvill but didn't manage to get a photo of her either.  I later found out that Shaun, who had ridden the route after we left, had passed her at some point.

The first 20 miles went quite quickly and it wasn't long before we reached the feed station - a quick wee stop, fill up bottles with water and a jaffa cake and we were soon on our way.  It wasn't long after the feed station that I decided to stop and swap my bottles over and add a glucose tab to my water bottle - big mistake!   Much to Claire's delight the back wheel of my bike decided to spin and before I knew it, although it was slow-mo action, I was on my arse and sat on the tarmac.  My comedy fall has left me with a LOT of bruises and some marks on the Dolce - not happy.

The next 20 miles were fairly uneventful - the hilly bits kept us on our toes and crossing a huge roundabout was a bit scary.   When we reached the finished it really didn't feel like we'd just ridden 40 miles.

Our reward for all our efforts - a hot dog or a burger
which went down very quickly, with a cup of tea!   and it wasn't long before Michelle and Sam joined us
I'm well chuffed with today's ride.   I was convinced that the 40 miles would take me at least 4 hours, but actually the time according to Garmin was 3 hrs 20 mins.  Most impressive of all was my maximum speed of 50kph - must have been one of those lovely downhills.   I was less impressed by the goodie bag which consisted of a brown paper bag, a bottle of water and a Mars bar.   Stunning medal though so I'm not complaining, and I've raised over £100 for Action Medical Research, the charity behind today's ride.
Need to start looking for a new challenge!

Good luck fellow 'athoners with week 2 - here's to more squats and some mileage on the Dolce.




No comments:

Post a Comment