Pages

About Me

My photo
Wife (to Shaun), Mother (to Danni), Dog walker of Archie the JRX, improving cyclist, reformed gym bunny, broken runner Collector of exercise DVDs & equipment. Cake is my weakness together with cider (Westons only thanks)and brandy. Noisy spectator of running & cycling events. Owner of Tribby the campervan

Saturday 5 January 2013

Janathon Day 5 - Drop Out

First things first, if you haven't got your Christmas decs down yet, today is the day.  If they are still up tomorrow you are in store for bad luck, apparently!

Happy birthday to the gorgeous Brad Cooper who was born today in 1975
- famous for the Hangover films, the A Team and my favourite Limitless.  I first spotted him years ago when he played Will in the TV series Alias with Jennifer Garner.

So on to the Janathon business part of the day.  Many of my Twitter followers will know that on Christmas Eve I pulled my back getting a t-shirt out of a drawer.  I spent Christmas Eve walking doubled over, Christmas Day sitting on the floor or on a hard chair trying to get comfortable and by Boxing Day it was starting to feel better.  I didn't run at all but took the dog out for his walks - some days twice!   On New Year's Day I did my first run of Janathon and the back felt good, even on my evening run on Thursday it felt fine, and using the Airwalker wasn't affecting it either.  Unfortunately this morning whilst I was cutting my toenails prior to my planned long run a muscle on the right hand side of my back went into spasm.  I ignored it and got ready for my run - stupid I know. I left the house and walked to the end of the road, started my Garmin and picked up my pace - absolute agony, I couldn't get a proper breath and the pain was unbearable.  Run abandoned.  I must have looked a right plonker, all dressed up for an 8/9 mile run and heading back home without breaking into a sweat, walking like a 90 year old woman.

Mr B has now forced me to drop out of Janathon and rest for a while (he said 2 weeks but we'll see - apparently running ain't the be all and end all!) - no dog walking over the weekend so I can't even use that as my sole exercise until I'm ok to run!   All this is terribly frustrating, my Half Mara is looking less likely unless I can get back running in the next week or so.  Not the best preparation but if I can get to 10 or 11 miles the week before I may be ok!

Good luck to everyone for the rest of January, I'll be here reading blogs and commenting; hopefully my next blog will be the one where I review my first Half Marathon!

See you all in June otherwise!


9 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you're dropping out but you've got to look after yourself. A week out of running won't hurt your half marathon too much. I did the Royal Parks once on a longest training run of 7 miles and was only five minutes slower than a half I did train properly for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry hear about your injury. Hope it gets better soon and good luck with the 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, your tweet made me giggle, which is a start;0)

      Delete
  3. As someone who spent months unable to run last year I can only sympathize - rest will do you good tho - hope you recover for your half marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill - I'll do it, even if it's a run/walk

      Delete
  4. Hope you manage to get sorted, injuries suck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's such bad luck, but when your back won't behave...sheesh the pain! Hope you're feeling better soon - there'll be no shortage of other half marathons to do when you're all fixed again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch, I was wincing as I read your post :-( Sorry you won't be Janathoning any longer, but yes, taking care of yourself is priority, most obviously. I had to make that same choice this time (healing vs. challenging myself) which is why I have limited the running portion of my Janathon this year. (have chosen biking, walking, cardio machines as a mixed effort) Any chance you could Janathon using another form of exercise challenge that would be kind to your back & still keep you cardio- or muscle-conditioned while you wait it out?

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry to hear it! but as everyone else says, best to be sensible and get better. If you are up for it, I would still love to do Brighton Half with you. Don't stress if you have not managed to do 10 or 11 miles, we will finish it. But at the end of the day you have to look after your back. Sending you a big hug {} xx

    ReplyDelete