Pages

About Me

My photo
Wife (to Shaun), Mother (to Danni), Dog walker of Archie the JRX, improving cyclist, reformed gym bunny, broken runner Collector of exercise DVDs & equipment. Cake is my weakness together with cider (Westons only thanks)and brandy. Noisy spectator of running & cycling events. Owner of Tribby the campervan

Tuesday 30 September 2014

In memory of Sam !

Today is Sam's birthday - the last couple of weeks have been a little "difficult", getting organised for Color Run had bought some sad feelings to the fore.  




Sam loved doing Color Run last year, the inaugural event for Brighton so it was fitting to take part this year and we were joined by Sam's mum, Lou who was chief photographer, bag carrier, supplier of water and chocolate at the end.  


This year's t-shirts were printed with our Just Giving text numbers.  


Queuing up for the start was an emotional moment - especially getting a mention from the starting crew.   We were soon off on our trip through the color along Madeira Drive.   Sam's cry of "drop and roll" featured heavily, together with snow angels and generally getting smothered in as much as paint as we could.    Last year we promised we'd revisit the pink zone on the way back to the finish !



I'm sure Sam would've loved this year's Color Run - apart from the guy in Orange zone who told us to get off the floor!

Last Sunday I took part in an SRS cyclosportive - the Brighton 2 Brighton!  I actually have no idea why I thought this was a good idea - it takes in one of the county's toughest hill climbs - Devil's Dyke  .   I've still got a lot of work to do on hill climbing and I hadn't been out on the bike very much in the last couple of weeks.   Shaun decided that the 20 mile route (Pequeno) would be sufficient to give me experience and a sense of achievement.    We arrived at Hove Lawns at our allocated time, collected our map, race number and timing chip and then joined the queue to head out to Shoreham before turning North and then starting the climb up the Dyke.   I have to say it was exhausting - some really horrible short, sharp hills, some lovely downhills.   All in all a great event, although the start of the route left a lot to be desired as it was on some very busy main roads before we got to the countryside!

The climb up Devils Dyke itself was horrible - I had nothing left.  My breathing was all over the place despite having done two separate doses on my puffer and I couldn't risk my heart rate going any higher.   I already suspected I'd have to walk the bike up - I managed the start of the incline but after a few turns of the pedals I was off.    The walk of shame was all mine!   Shaun continued on without me until he got a short way up and then he insisted on pushing me up with a few "shoves of hope".  We'd done it, between us, I'd made it to the top!    The descent back into Brighton was amazing - apart from having to stop at a large busy roundabout and various traffic lights.   We made it back to Hove Lawns in 2 hours and 1 minute and were awarded Silver.  When we got home I checked on the website and found out we'd missed Gold by 1 flipping minute.  Guess that means we'll be back next year to knock that 1 minute and a bit more off the time!

I'm pretty pleased with how it went, I knew beforehand I'd struggle up the Dyke but I'm glad we did the event - apart from the lack of medal!  Official photographs aren't available at the time of writing - if there are any I'll post them ..... of me doing the walk of shame.

So two more events done in Sam's memory and additional funds for the fundraising for Brain & Spine Foundation.    Two more events for me for this year at the moment - Pedal in Preston Park (laps of the Brighton velodrome) and support/photographer at the Brighton Santa Run.

If you would like to donate please click on the Brain & Spine Foundation link above.





No comments:

Post a Comment